Happy July! Are you feeling the storage itch yet? I have to admit every week I buy something for my storage I just get a good feeling inside...CHEZZY!!...I know, I know, but who cares! So it's a new month and here's the list week by week. For you who don't know, I'm posting storage ideas every month with week by week items to help get your food storage going.
WEEK 1: 50 lbs. Wheat - now this stuff is not cheap. I just bought a ~47lb. bucket for $22, but you can make TONS of stuff with wheat if needs be and it stores for a long time...if you've saved your pennies from last month this will soften the "blow."
WEEK 2: 5 lbs. Peanut Butter - some say PB has a shelf life of a couple years, some say it can last 10+ years...hey, if there's a REAL emergency I can eat 10 year old PB!
WEEK 3: 20 lbs. Sugar
WEEK 4: 7 boxes Mac & Cheese (substitute this for whatever you like, if Mac & Cheese isn't your thing.)
AND of course WATER WATER WATER
And I can't leave you with out some words of encouragement! "We live in a most exciting and challenging period in human history. As technology sweeps through every facet of our lives, changes are occurring so rapidly that it can be difficult for us to keep our lives in balance. To maintain some semblance of stability in our lives, it is essential that we plan for our future. I believe it is time, and perhaps with some urgency, to review the counsel we have received in dealing with our personal and family preparedness. We want to be found with oil in our lamps sufficient to endure to the end. President Spencer W. Kimball admonished us: “In reviewing the Lord’s counsel to us on the importance of preparedness, I am impressed with the plainness of the message. The Savior made it clear that we cannot place sufficient oil in our preparedness lamps by simply avoiding evil. We must also be anxiously engaged in a positive program of preparation.” (L. Tom Perry)



4 comments:
Mandy,
Great Post! I need to stalk up! I'm so glad you started doing this!! You will save our fam if there is an earthquake! Thank you Thank you for posting our house on your blog! Looks great!
ok, glad you found this for us. I really need to start. and btw, sorry I missed the fav things. I swear this month flew and I didn't even realize that it was past the 30th. sorry!
I love the help with what to buy but what do you do with wheat? What kind do you buy and do you need a wheat grinder?
melissa, i buy the unground wheat, and i have a hand grinder. i'm working on what to do with it. you can certainly buy it already ground at any store. the WinCo here sells it in bulk for 47cents a pound. With that wheat you can make ANYTHING. There is also tons you can make with unground wheat...exactly what I have yet to discover, but when I know I'll share it. The church also has lots of resources and cookbooks on what to do with your wheat. I just started an enrichment activity class that deals with what to do with your wheat, so i'll let you know. This is a long post I should email you...too late!
Post a Comment