Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Mystery Baby Rash

Okay all you moms...I have one for you. Luke has not been himself lately. He started getting low grade fevers on Thursday morning I chalked it up to teething. Usually when he's teething he can't sleep, but this time he has been so sleepy and taking naps all day instead of just twice. He's been very cranky and clingy, which is really out of character. Saturday his fevers subside, but Friday he starts getting a rash around his hairline. I think it's heat rash. Well, Saturday and Sunday it's starts to spread down his face. The rash is splotchy red patches, not raised, just there and it doesn't itch. Monday the rash spreads to his shoulders and torso and I take him to the physician. He checked for strep, negative. He thinks it's an allergic reaction to something, though for the life of me I can't figure out what is new that could be causing this. The doctor gave us a liquid medicine to take for 3 days, though it seemed to help for a little bit, the rash is still coming back. Anyone had anything similar with their children? Ideas?

6 comments:

The Hardy's said...

Cole had the same thing a few months ago. Fever for 2-3 days then rash. It is Rosiola(spelling?). There's no treatment. It's a virus that just has to run its course. Keep him away from other babies (0-2yrs).

The Hardy's said...

thanks melissa! how long did cole have it?

Gilly Funk said...

Yikes! I have no idea, I feel like my kids have had every rash possible, but I guess not this one. I hate stuff like this, your just left to wait and try to guess what is causeing that. I am so sorry. that really stinks

Eidelweis said...

oh gosh. aperila had something similar to that but it broke out directly on her chest and stomach. her pediatrician said pretty much the same thing coles mom told her. that it was a virus that had to run its course. she didn't give me the name of the virus or she didn't and i just don't remember. keep me posted. i hope he feels better soon.

britt said...

if it's a virus, there like most people have said, you can't do much about it. But make sure you support his immune system while he is sick. vitamins, and I get a immune support for kids (a liquid herbal mix) at wild oats, and also an ecchinacia/goldenseal compound for children. (liquid form) ecchinacia and goldenseal are anti viral and anti bacterial and support the immune system!

The Hardy's said...

thanks everyone! luke's rash went away and he is a happy boy again. you're all right, it had to run it's course, thankfully it's over.