Friday, January 9, 2009

Three's A Crowd


As the baby ticker to the right swiftly counts down the days of Sam's arrival I am becoming more and more aware of her kicking inside my stomach especially at night...o wait, no, that's Luke kicking me because he still sleeps in bed with us!! I know I've brought this problem on myself, but I can't seem to get him to sleep in his own bed. I still put him to sleep with us, and if lucky am able to quietly carry him to his own bed only to have him wake up in the wee hours of the morning crying and running to our room. What do I do? How do I get him to sleep in his own bed? Any ideas??

5 comments:

Steph said...

Yeah, we have to threaten Marlee and tell her we'll put her outside if she dosen't stay in her bed. It sounds bad, but ut works because she dosen't want to do it. It's so hard once they are out of their cribs and can come back in your room. Good luck. I wish I had better advice.

Terri Lindsay said...

Hey yeah, I no this is crazy but we are kind of related,I am not just some crazy person posting on your blog. I got your blog from Jessica Lindsay's blog, my husband is Preston lindsay, which is a cousin of your husband. soooo anyway.

Ok so I totally know what you mean, we are going through the same thing. here is what we do. My son is 2 but doesn't understand as much as he should, so we keep things basic. We have a very strict bed time routine to start with. we start at 7:15 we pick up all the toys, change dipper, brush teeth, and then we sit in the rocking chair and read 1 or 2 books (it depends on how long it took do all the other stuff) and then we finish with a good night book, like good night moon. Personally I like "Time for Bed" by Mem Fox. After that we say pray and Preston turns off the light and leaves the room. I will stay and rock Kellen for 15 to 30 minutes ( it also depends on how sleepy he is) I make sure he is still awake, and tell him it is time to get in bed. I will then tuck him in and sit at the head of the bed (I used to lay with him). I am gradually moving to the foot of the bed, but he hates it because he can't touch me. But try to keep the touching hugging and kissing and talking to a minimum. Oh and try to leave the room just before he falls asleep. I know it is really time concuming, I hate it. But I think it is really starting to work. at least he knows that I am not there and won't freak out in the middle of the night, he just gets up and walks down the hall and climbs in bed with us. Well that is all i have. it's probably not that helpful. but keep us posted when you find something that works.

Heather said...

read the book "Good night sleep tight" by kim west. It will solve all your bedtime issues. It totally saved me, my boys and my sanity. she goes through most issues and shows you exactly how to handle them. It also will help (with your new little one) teach her how to put herself to sleep and such so you won't have problems later on. seriously READ IT!

Heather said...

BTW, know how you feel since I am 32 weeks now. She is getting so freaking big! I can't believe I am so lucky to have her with me all the time. It is so fun to be pregnant.

ashlan said...

Check out the supper nanny technique (a lot like the baby wise technique). I laughed when I saw it but it works.