Saturday, August 2, 2008

Then To Now












I think I'm ready to post pictures now...I wanted you to see how great Greg is doing today. The first pictures were taken one day after the accident. Greg had two drains in his skull for blood and cranial fluid, a black eye, a broken cheek bone, a broken clavical, he couldn't breath on his own, he was in an induced coma for 10 days, he couldn't move his right side, the doctors told us it could be days to weeks before he woke up. They weren't sure if he'd be able to move his right side or talk. They also said his emotions would probably be effected, whether short term or permanetly, it was up in the air. They also told me he might have memory loss from the accident or far before that. I prepared myself for the worst hoping for the best. The last two pictures were taken two days ago. Greg is working with therapists 3-4 hours a day in rehab. He is walking with a bit of assistance, working to strengthen his right side. He is talking and understanding everything and still has a great sense of humor. The speech therapist was working with him the other day showing him black and white pictures of various objects. He showed Greg a picture of shoes to which Greg replied, "blue suede shoes." I also told him I wanted to cut my hair short, he told me I had my chance while he was in the coma. His personality is exactly the same and has no problems with emotion. His clavical healed on it's own as well as his cheek bone. His eyes are still a bit bloodshot from fighting so hard and coughing when he was coming out of his coma. He doesn't remember the accident, but has a clear recollection of everything from the night before and beyond that...he did forget our anniversary though, he said he had a "mind lapse." I think he's going to use that one a lot! He is very determined to get back home, he says we'll be out of McKay-Dee by next Friday...I don't think so, though he is progressing by leaps and bounds every day. He is such a hard worker. Someone asked what he liked to do for fun, and he said "hunt and work." Greg hates the hospital food, and has lost around 15 pounds. Our family has truly witnessed a miracle and we thank everyone for their love, support, prayers and thoughts. I also found out a few days after the accident that we're going to have another baby...official announcement!!...we count our blessings everyday. It's been 19 days since the accident, and Greg is already come so far, it's amazing! I'm so glad that Greg is here, that he's healthy and still has his funny personality. Luke loves to see his daddy everday, they go for races outside, Greg in a wheelchair, Luke in his stroller...it's quite funny. Sometimes I wonder how this could have happened, but I can't complain, we've been watched over. I know there is power in the priesthood, power in prayer and that our Heavenly Father knows and loves us, reaches out to us in our darkest moments and never leaves our side. Thank you again for everything, we still have a long road ahead, continue to keep us in your prayers.



15 comments:

Terri Lindsay said...

I wanted to thank you for the updates about Greg. We don't really know each other but, I am married to a cousin of Greg's and he has really appreciated the progress updates. Know that we have been praying for your family, and putting your names in the Temple. The Lord is with you.
and congrats on the lattes edition to the family, that is very exciting news.

miranda said...

Hi Mandy, what fabulous news on Greg's recovery. Your family has been in our prayers since we first heard of the accident.
I can't even imagine what you have had to go through these last few weeks, but your faith and strength have been an inspiration. You two are truly an amazing couple and we will continue to pray for your family.

Love, the McDonald Family

P.S. Hooray! on your baby news

Shelly and Bryce Stanger said...

I am so greatful Greg is such a fighter. Your little family is so blessed in so many ways & I am so glad you have kept us updated. We are constantly thinking of you guys. And congratulations Mandy! You are so amazing. Love you guys!!

grandma J. said...

Mandy, I can't tell you how happy it made me to see the pictures of Greg. Wow! We are so relieved that he is doing so well. Also, I can't believe you are expecting!! This must be wonderful news to Greg and such an incentive to get back home. We love you so much. Aunt Cheryl

The Hardy's said...

It is so good to see the new pictures of Greg! I can't believe how much better he looks in just a week. I totally miss hanging with you at the hospital. The boys are going through Luke withdrawls. We can't wait to come visit again soon!

Cormorant said...

What wonderful news! We are so happy that Greg is doing so well! Obviously it's not over, but this improvement is amazing! I can't imagine how both you and he are dealing with this. You are both so strong and faithful; thank you for your examples.

And what great news that you're pregnant too! When it rains, it pours, and it seems like blessings (sometimes hidden as trials) are showering over you! Congrats again. We will continue to keep you in our prayers.

Cormorant said...

PS-This quote from Winston Churchill made me think of you:

"Kites rise highest against the wind - not with it."

Leejean Stanger said...

Wow, what wonderful news. Thanks for the pictures and updates. We echo everyone else. You are an inspiration to us all, just by being you and living the gospel. Congrats on the baby news. I hope that you aren't too sick.
Lots of love ---leejean and kip.

Ann-Marie said...

I'm so happy for you. Congrats on ALL of your good news. We'll continue to pray for you.

a.t.a said...

Can't wait for baby *****. Greg is looking & speaking very well. He sure is a gO getter!!!

Curtis and Whitney Giles said...

It is so nice to hear that he is doing so good! We have kept your family in our prayers! Congrats on the baby! That is exciting. My blog is blocked but just e-mail me if you want to be added cw-giles@hotmail.com
It is such a fun way to stay in touch!

Clegg Family said...

Hi Mandy, This is Rachel (Schwab) - I just ran across your blog and wanted to let you know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family right now. You are such an example to me and always have been. Love you and please keep us posted!

(We just took our blog private, but if you get a minute email me your address so I can add you to our blog....rachelsclegg@gmail.com. Fun baby news, by the way!)

Steph said...

Oh Mandy, I feel so bad. I haven't looked at blogs for awhile and I just saw yours today and couldn't believe it. I'm so sorry about the accident. You and your family are such great examples of love and faith. Our prayers will be with you all. Way to stay so strong. You're amazing. I probably would have gone crazy, but you have kept it together so well. Congrats on being pregnant! That is such good news. I wish I was closer and could help you babysit. Take care. Love you.

Carley and Chad Evenson said...

hey mandy, this is carley, kristy's sister-in-law, if all else fails just remember vegas! i heard from kristy what happened and am so greatful greg is doing so well, my prayers are with you guys and i'm in shock at how strong you are dealing with all this, your amazing. take care

Kristen said...

I know I don't really know you...at all, but I know people you know, like Kristy & Travis and I think you know Caralee Waddell. Anyway, I was just browsing blogs and saw yours. Your faith and positive attitude are so encouraging and inspiring. Count on our prayers for your family too. :)

Kristen Gaufin